Sunday 25 December 2011

Year 2 Tailoring Processes: Week 2



Design and creating a innovative sleeve with a vent

1. In order to create my innovative sleeve I traced around the normal sleeve pattern, which i then traced diagonal from the top to the bottom of the top sleeve. 
Equally measured out the top sleeve i cut off cut and slashed it open and stuck in down to the other half of the top sleeve.



2. This is what it looked like afterwards, once i stuck the slashed top sleeve open i stuck it down to the rest of the top sleeve added a 1 cm seam allowance all the way round. Added a 3cm seam allowance to the cuff on the sleeve. 


3. Added a vent to the top sleeve which was 4cm wide and 8cm high added drawn it next to the 1cm seam allowance as you can see below. This is the final pattern for my innovative sleeve with a vent.


Innovative sleeve in final fabric


I used my innovative sleeve pattern in order to create this sleeve i used a fabric called Gaberdine. I slightly added more volume at the top of the sleeve,
which i gathered in and then sewn into the arm hole.
Front View


This shows the sleeve close up you can see the slight
gathered detail at the top of the sleeve.




Back View


Sleeve vent with hand sewn button holes


Side view of finished innovative sleeve sample.

I successfully managed to figure out and create a sleeve with a vent. By practising on calico and then trying it out in my final fabric gaberdine helped me to understand how to contruct a vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment