Friday 20 April 2012

Year 2 Design Realisation: Design Development

Vintage Jacket

As part of my design development i was told to find a vintage garment, i decided to choose this vintage jacket below. I liked the simple jacket silhouette and the key detail featured on this jacket. The interesting textured fabric used on this jacket makes the key detail such as the collar, pocket flaps and darts stand out. By looking at my chosen vintage garment i picked out key detail from my vintage garment that i was going to take forward into my design development ideas.

Front and Back
view

These are some pictures showing the key detail on the jacket close up.
 Front Bust Dart detail

 Two Front Pocket Flaps

 Back Shoulder Dart


Design Development

The season i was desigining for was High Summer 2013.

In order to develop my design ideas i decided to unpick the sleeves off the vintage jacket. Once i unpicked the sleeves i turned the jacket inside out and placed it on a mannequin. I preferred working on a mannequin as it helps me to innovatively create unique shapes that inspire and develop me design ideas. I thought about turning the jacket inside out and pleating the inside of the collar to create interesting design shapes. By pleating the inside of collar enabled to think of ways how this pleated shape could be interpreted into my design development. As you can see below i used this detail as inspiration to create a design for a collar on a sleeveless blazer and on a dress.


For this design development page i thought about leaving the jacket inside out and turned the collar inside out so you could see the white lining inside the collar. By doing this created an interesting sample using the inside of the collar as inspiration. I folded in the collar to create layered detail, i took this sample forward by adapting  the layered detail on one of these dress designs. I used the outside shape to create a halter neck strap as you can see below.

I carried on working on the stand by positioning the jacket inside out on the mannequin in a different way to create a one shoulder pleated sample as you can see from my design development page below. I pleated the whole inside of the collar to create new, exciting and interesting shapes. This further developed my designs by working on a stand, it helped me develop designs for a one shoulder dress and a pleated skirt design.



For this design development page i turned the jacket from inside out to its original state. I thought about turning the inside of the collar out and positioning the collar in a certain way by pinning it to form geometric shapes. I thought the geometric shapes created by pinning the inside of the collar out would be an unusual yet interesting design. Geometric design that could be further developed as a design as a collar on a jacket or neck detail on a dress. This inspired me to design these two garments below for my development.

I found working on stand easier as it helped me make use of my vintage garment by experimenting with shapes i could create on the stand by turning it inside out, pleating it in a certain. By taking pictures of the samples i created by changing the position and style of it helped me a lot to develop me design development. This gave me a wider range of ideas to choose from that i could take forward and further develop until i was happy with my final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment