Monday 23 April 2012

Year 2 Application of Design: Design Development


Design Direction Board

After completing all the initial research i picked out three inspirational samples from my range of research. I created a design direction board, to help me pin point key detail that can be further developed into my design development. The design direction board was a useful source to inspire and remind me, what key detail i was designing from to develop my designs through different garments.


Design Development

To begin my design development i used my design direction board as well as images of samples from my research sheets. The reason why i used images of samples was to show my understanding of forward thinking designs, i had tested out through sampling and then through to design development. As you can see from this design development page below, it shows the key imagery i used as my main source of inspiration. I've adapted the key imagery into a wearable and non-wearable design on a range of different coats.  


For this design development page my designs were focused around padded, geometric shape detail on a range of jackets. The use of key inspirational imagery fitted in well with my sample featuring geometric shoulder detail. I thought about creating overlapped, oversized, layered, entwined and padded detail. This developed the jacket designs a lot as i had a wider range of jacket designs to choose from, which complimented each other. The use of colour and fabric swatches have been used to identify the types of fabrics that would be used and it what colour.


For these two designs development pages below I’ve focused on designing a range of tops and shirts. I used key imagery and a picture of a sample from my research to inspire me to create a range of different designs. These images featured on this design page contain so much inspiration i combined the two together to create a range of designs. These range of tops feature overlapped detail, cut-out detail and geometric detail/print. I experimented creating similar designs to show slightly different and similar variations that have simple silhouettes with these hints of interesting detail.




For this design development page i chose this key imagery, which features geometric shaped, stitch detail on this bleached jacket. The geometric stitch detail linked in really well with my geometric pattern i made from a picture of printed painting. I used one part of the pattern i made from my research. A part of the pattern was repeated a number of times, to create a layered design for the sleeves and the front of a jacket. I enlarged the size of the pattern to show a variation in design to show a range of jackets that feature the same design interpreted in a number of ways.


By using key imagery as well as imagery of samples i made in my research, was a great way of combining and inpsiring design ideas i could experiment with further. My design development has progressed my strong ideas further by developing them in many ways as possible through a wide range of different garments. By experimenting with different designs on a range of garments, helped me to decided which designs suited certain garments. As i had to make sure my designs fitted well as part of a range.

Final Outfit Range

These images show my range of outfits i decided to choose as part of the range in the end. The colours vary from dark blue to a hint of golden yellow, which are featured within the key detail seen on the garments. These six outfits consists of statement coats, jackets and blazers. A range of trousers, skirts, dress, shirts and tops with hints of geometric detail.


No comments:

Post a Comment